If you’re like most homeowners, you want to do everything you can to protect your home from pests and termites. Unfortunately, many people don’t know where to start when it comes to Pest Control Waxhaw NC and termite treatment. That’s why it’s important to work with a local exterminator who can help you choose the right course of action for your home.
Whether you need routine pest control or termite treatment, our professionals at Freedom Pest Services can help keep your home safe and healthy. So, if you’re worried about pests or termites, be sure to contact our local exterminator today. They’ll be happy to help!
TERMITES: FACTS AND TREATMENT
What are termites?
Termites are a type of social insect that live in colonies. They are eusocial, which means that they have a division of labor within the colony, with some members dedicated to reproducing and others dedicated to taking care of the young, gathering food, and building the nest.
Termites are important in the Earth’s ecosystem because they play a role in breaking down dead wood and returning its nutrients to the soil. Unfortunately, they also consume other cellulose-containing materials such as cardboard, paper, and insulation. This makes them a major pest for homeowners since they can damage wooden structures through burrowing and eating activities.
What Are The Different Types of Termites?
There are three main types of termites that infest homes and buildings – subterranean, drywood, and dampwood termites. Each type is slightly different in terms of its habits and preferences, but all can cause significant damage to wooden structures.
- Subterranean Termites: Subterranean termites live in colonies underground and enter homes through small cracks or holes in the foundation. They are the most common type of termite in the United States and can cause significant damage to homes. Subterranean termites can quickly ruin the framework of a building if left unchecked.
- Drywood Termites: Drywood termites live in dry wood, and they can enter through small cracks or holes in the exterior of the home. These termites live inside the wood of your home and don’t need any contact with the ground or with moisture to survive.
- Dampwood Termites: Dampwood termites live in damp wood and need a high moisture content to survive. These termites are typically found near sources of moisture like leaky pipes or standing water.
How Do I Know If I Have Termites?
There are a few signs that can indicate a termite infestation. If you notice any of the following, it is important to call a professional pest control Waxhaw NC right away:
- Mud tubes on the exterior of your home: Subterranean termites build mud tubes to travel from their colony to your home. These tubes are usually about the width of a pencil and can be found on the foundation, exterior walls, or in crawl spaces.
- Discarded wings: Termites shed their wings when they swarm, which is usually in the spring. If you find piles of wings near doors or windows, it’s a good sign that you have termites.
- Swarming termites: If you see termites flying around your home, it’s a sign that there is a nearby colony. Swarming termites are usually looking for a new place to build their territory.
- Damaged wood: Termites eat wood from the inside out, so damaged wood may be a sign of an infestation. Look for wood that sounds hollow when tapped, has cracks or holes in it, or is crumbling.
How Do You Get Rid Of Termites?
Termites are a huge problem in many parts of the world. They can quickly and efficiently chew through wood, which can cause a lot of damage to buildings and other structures. There are a few ways to treat termites:
- Termiticide Barriers: A termiticide barrier is a chemical treatment that is applied to the soil around a home to prevent termites from getting in. The chemical creates a barrier that termites cannot cross.
- Bait Stations: Bait stations are placed around the perimeter of a home and contain wood that has been treated with a slow-acting poison. The termites eat the wood and then take the poison back to their colony, where it kills the entire colony.
- Fumigation: Fumigation is a method of treatment that involves sealing off a home or structure and filling it with poisonous gas. This gas kills the termites inside.
- Beneficial Nematodes: Beneficial nematodes are tiny parasitic worms that kill termites. They are applied to the soil around a home and then enter the termites through their body openings.
- Spot treatment: Spot treatment is a method of treatment that involves treating small, localized areas where termites are present. This is often done with chemicals or baits.
- Boric Acid: Boric acid is a natural substance that is poisonous to termites. It can be used as a spot treatment for small areas or can be added to the soil around a home to create a barrier.
Which method you use will depend on the severity of the infestation and the type of termites present. A professional pest control Waxhaw NC will be able to assess the situation and recommend the best course of treatment.
Professional Pest Control Waxhaw NC
When most people think about pest control, the first thing that comes to mind is spraying pesticides inside and around the home. While this may be an effective way to get rid of pests in the short term, it’s not a long-term solution and can actually damage your home and health. Instead, professional pest control services use more advanced methods to target pests and protect your home.
Fortunately, if you need help dealing with pests and termites in your home, Freedom Pest Services is just around the corner. We provide expert solutions to all your pest and termite problems. Backed with state-of-the-art knowledge and equipment, we are positive to deliver the best possible outcome in getting rid of pests on your property.
Schedule your appointment and join our long list of satisfied clients today!