As the weather starts to warm up, pests begin to emerge from their winter hiding places, ready to make their presence known in our living spaces. From annoying mosquitoes to pesky termites, pests can wreak havoc on our properties, causing damages, allergies, and infections.
Dealing with pest problems can be challenging both indoors and outdoors. Although you can keep your home clean and tidy, pests can still find their way inside.
Discover how to control these pests and how professional pest exterminators can help!
5 Types of Common Household Pests & How to Deal with Them
- Cockroaches: These pesky insects are not only unsightly but can also carry diseases. To control them, keep your kitchen and bathroom clean, seal off entry points, and use insecticidal spray or baits.
- Termites: Termites are known for their ability to cause severe damage to wooden structures and furniture. Prevent them by keeping your home dry and eliminating any standing water, fixing leaky pipes, and using termite baits, sprays, or fumigation.
- Bed Bugs: These blood-sucking insects can quickly infest your home and bite you while you sleep, causing allergic reactions and skin irritation. To get rid of them, wash your bedding in hot water, vacuum frequently, and use bed bug sprays or traps.
- Rodents: Mice and rats can cause damage to your property and even spread diseases. Prevent them by sealing off any cracks or holes in your home’s exterior, storing food properly, and using traps or poison baits.
- Ants: While not as harmful as other pests, ants can quickly become a nuisance if left unchecked. Prevent them by keeping your kitchen clean, sealing off entry points, and using ant baits or sprays.
Dealing with household pests can be a daunting task, but by taking preventative measures and using the appropriate pest control methods, you can protect your home and family from these common pests.
Remember to always follow instructions on any pest control products and seek professional help if needed.
Top 5 Professional Tips To Keep Pesky Pests Away this Season
Whether you’re dealing with mosquitoes, ants, or other creepy crawlies, there are steps you can take to keep them at bay. Here are expert tips to get you started:
- Identify the Source
The first step to controlling pests is identifying their source. It’s not enough to just treat the affected area, as the pests will continue to breed and multiply. Finding where they’re coming from will help you prevent future infestations and keep them away for good.
- Keep Your Home Clean
One of the best ways to prevent pests is to keep your home clean and tidy. This means cleaning up any food debris, checking for standing water, and regularly vacuuming and sweeping to eliminate crumbs and other debris.
- Seal Up Cracks and Holes
Bugs and other pests can fit through even the tiniest of cracks and holes in your home’s exterior. Make sure to seal up any potential entry points using caulk or other appropriate sealants.
- Use Natural Pest Control Remedies
Instead of relying on harmful chemicals, consider using natural pest control remedies. Essential oils like peppermint or lemon can be effective at repelling certain pests, and diatomaceous earth is a natural powder that can be used to control insects.
- Work with a Pest Control Professional
If you’re still struggling with pests, consider working with a professional pest control company. They can help identify the specific type of pest you’re dealing with and provide targeted treatment options to eliminate them. Plus, they can offer ongoing preventative measures to keep your home pest-free in the future.
By following these professional tips, you can keep pesky pests away and enjoy a more comfortable, bug-free season.
Indoor & Outdoor Plants That Acts as Natural Pest Repellent
Other than those tips, you may opt for adding these natural pest-repelling plants to your garden or indoor spaces so you can keep pests away without using harmful chemicals or pesticides.
- Basil – This culinary herb is not only great in the kitchen but is also known to repel house flies and mosquitoes. Plant basil in pots or in the garden near doorways or windows to keep pests away.
- Lavender – This beautiful plant is known for its soothing scent, but also repels mosquitoes, flies, and fleas.
- Marigold – Popular for their cheerful blooms, marigolds also produce a scent that deters mosquitoes and other flying insects.
- Citronella Grass – This grass is commonly known for its essential oils that are used in candles and insect repellent sprays. Plant citronella grass in planters or in the garden to naturally repel mosquitoes and other flying pests.
- Peppermint – The strong smell of peppermint is too overwhelming for insects, making it an effective natural repellent. Plant peppermint in pots or in the garden to repel ants, spiders, and mosquitoes.
- Chrysanthemum – These beautiful flowers contain pyrethrins, a natural insecticide that kills and repels many pests including ants, aphids, and mosquitoes.
- Rosemary – This fragrant herb is not only great in cooking but also repels mosquitoes, flies, and moths. Plant rosemary in pots around outdoor seating areas or near windows and doors to keep insects away.
- Geranium – Not only do these plants offer beautiful blossoms, but they also are effective at repelling mosquitoes, ticks, and other flying insects.
- Catnip – Cats may love this herb, but insects hate it. Plant catnip in pots or in the garden to naturally repel mosquitoes and other pests.
- Lemon Balm – The citrus scent of lemon balm is too strong for many insects, making it an effective natural repellent. Plant lemon balm in pots or the garden to repel mosquitoes, flies, and other pests.
Try incorporating some of these natural pest repellents into your home and garden today. Not only will you create a beautiful and pleasant environment, but you’ll also be doing your part for the environment by avoiding the use of harsh chemicals and promoting natural pest control methods.
When Should You Call a Professional Exterminator?
Dealing with pests in your home can be a frustrating experience. And while these DIY tips and plants might work at times, there are cases where infestation seems impossible. There are some situations where it’s best to call in a professional exterminator.
- You have a serious infestation
If you’re seeing a lot of pests on a regular basis, you likely have a serious infestation that needs to be addressed. A professional exterminator can assess the situation and develop a plan to eliminate the pests.
- You’re dealing with dangerous pests
Some pests, like rats or bees, can be dangerous to handle on your own. A professional exterminator has the proper equipment and training to safely handle these pests.
- You’re not sure what type of pest you’re dealing with
It can be difficult to identify certain pests and determine the best approach to eliminate them. A professional exterminator has the knowledge and experience to identify the pest and use the appropriate treatment method.
- You’ve tried DIY methods with no success
If you’ve tried DIY methods and the pests are still present, it’s time to call in the professionals. A professional exterminator can provide a more effective solution and ensure that the pests are gone for good.
- You’re concerned about the health risks
Some pests can carry diseases or cause allergic reactions. If you have concerns about the health risks associated with a pest infestation, it’s best to call in a professional exterminator. They can safely eliminate the pests and help prevent any potential health risks.
In general, it’s best to call a professional exterminator if you’re struggling to eliminate pests on your own. They have the knowledge, experience, and equipment to effectively eliminate a variety of pests and can provide ongoing maintenance to prevent future infestations. Don’t hesitate to seek help and protect your home from unwanted pests.
Troubled by Pests in Your Home? Call for Expert Help!
Save yourself time, money, and stress by calling in an expert after you’ve spotted signs of pests in your home. A professional exterminator will identify the type of pest, use the most effective treatments available, and provide advice on how to keep your home free from future infestations.
At Freedom Pest Services, we have earned years of experience identifying the issue and helping you get rid of it quickly and safely. Our top-notch tools and technology can get rid of pests from your property in no time!
Call us today to schedule an appointment!